People how are not eligible to obtain a Social Security number (SSN) the IRS issues ITINs (Individual Tax Identification Number). Formatted like xxx-xx-xxx and the first digit will be a 9 always.
The IRS provides this numbers for people regardless of their immigration status, then people can pay their taxes even they do not have an SSN.
- A non-resident foreign national who owns or invests in a U.S. business and receives taxable income from that U.S. business, but lives in another country.
- A foreign national student who qualifies as a resident of the United States (based on days present in the United States).
- A dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- A dependent or spouse of a foreign national on a temporary visa.
An ITIN does not provide legal immigration status and cannot provide work authorization. Some ITIN holders are eligible for the Child Tax Credit.
Purposes of ITIN:
- Providing proof of residency
- Securing a driver’s license
Need an ITIN number? Call us (800) 913-0809