A Taxpayer Identification Number is an identifying number used for tax purpose in the United States. You may also know it as
- a TIN number (Tax Identification Number)
- or Federal Tax ID
- or EIN number (Employer identification Number).
Tax ID is a nine-digit, unique identifier for a business, like a Social Security number (SSN) for an individual. Formatted like xx-xxxxxxx.
Every business that pays employees or to file any business tax return is required to obtain a Tax ID. The IRS uses this number to identify and track businesses.
When you need Tax ID:
- File tax returns and other business documents
- Open bank accounts and lines of credit
- Apply for a business license or permit
- Make electronic payments
- File electronic tax returns
When you need to replace your Tax ID number:
- Business structure of your business changes, in this case you need new Tax ID
- In the case of bankruptcy is the best to get a new TIN.
Need a Tax ID? Call us (800) 913-089